Progressive Stages of Meditation
with Maarten Vermaase
9 Month Course, March – December 2021
at Sheffield Yoga School, S6 3TA
About the Course :
The aim of this course is to present a structured guide to the path of meditation and how this applies to the practice of Yoga.
It is an experiential course; theoretical and philosophical principles, including those from classical texts, will be discussed to underpin the mostly practical work.
There will be prolonged meditation sessions, with some Asana, Pranayama and chanting. Home practice is essential, and participants are expected to maintain a reflective ‘Practice Diary’ during the course.
A Certificate will be issued on completion of this training module.
The course includes :
- Progression of Shamatha (calming the mind) practices
- View, Path and Result: an overview of meditation methods
- Obstacles to meditation (‘hindrances’) and their remedies
- The ‘Inner Breath’ as basis for Pranayama and Breathing Meditation
- Meditation Practices ‘with support’ including breath meditation, trataka, Chakra & internal visualisation, mantra & sound.
- Meditation practice ‘without support’ including dissolution of visualisation, opening the senses, directly on the mind.
- Healing Meditation, the principle of Rushen (separation), spontaneous meditation.
- Principles of mindfulness applied to the personal practice of Asana, Pranayama and Meditation
Note : A comprehensive course outline is available to download from Sheffield Yoga School website.
Who this course is for?
Experienced Yoga students who wish to commit to regular Meditation practice.
For any Yoga teachers taking part, it is hoped that by gaining a deeper insight into the process of sensitivity and openness in meditation and post-meditation (lifestyle), participants will in time and after appropriate practice be able to impart some of these insights to their own students.
What to bring
Your normal Yoga gear, plus good cushion to sit on. Course texts. Notebook and pen! Your own lunch.
Essential Reference books
- Bokar Rinpoche, Meditation Advice to Beginners, Clear Point Press 1993 The Dalai Lama, Healing Anger, Snow Lion 1997
- Swami Satchidananda, Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Integral Yoga Publications (or other Yoga Sutras translation)
The Tutor : MAARTEN VERMAASE
Dutch born Maarten Vermaase is a highly respected teacher of Yoga, Pranayama & Meditation. He studied Hatha Yoga with the late Robert Van Heeckeren, and Tibetan Buddhist Yoga, Meditation and Healing Exercises with Lamas and teachers from the Kagyu and Nyingma traditions of Tibetan Buddhism.
Maarten is a retired DCT for the British Wheel of Yoga specialising in Pranayama and meditation, and has been teaching since 1979.
The material presented in this module is based on the Mahamudra tradition of Vajrayana Buddhism which Maarten has studied and practiced since 1973.
The fee for this course is £595.00
To reserve a place, fill in the booking form and return it with either the full payment or a deposit of £150.00.
Course dates (2021):
- 27th March
- 24th April
- 22nd May
- 26th June
- 25th September
- 13th November –
- 4th December
All days are 10.30am – 5.00pm
Venue : Sheffield Yoga School, South Rd, Sheffield. S6 3TA
from Yoga Days Info, posted September 2019