In Search of the Essence of Yoga
A 3 Day Course with Ben Major
25th March, 29th April & 20th May 2018
Cost : £95.00
About the Course
This course takes us on a fascinating journey through 5000 years of history as we go in search of the origins and history of the yoga tradition.
It will comprise of a mixture of theory and practice.
Each workshop includes lectures & group discussions, asana (posture work), pranayama (breathing practices), meditation, chanting and other practices from the yoga tradition.
These workshops are designed for yoga practitioners and teachers who wish to gain greater clarity and deeper understanding of yoga history and the many and varied paths of yoga.
Workshop 1 : Exploring Pre-Patanjali Yoga
- Pre-Vedic and Early Vedic yoga? Examining the evidence
- Yoga in the Upaniṣads and Mahābhārata
- The Śramaṇa traditions of Jainism and Buddhism
Practices include : Chanting of Vedic Mantra (such as Gayatri and Mahamrityumjaya); Mahat Yoga Pranayama; Atma Vichara (Self-enquiry) Meditation
Workshop 2 : The Flourishing of Yoga
- The philosophy of Sāṅkhya
- The classical Yoga of Patanjali
- Influence of Advaita Vedanta
Practices include : Pranava (chanting of Aum, with a special focus on the three syllables); Nadi Shodhana Pranayama, Antar Mouna Meditation
Workshop 3 : Tantra, Hatha to Modern Yoga
- The origins and evolution of Tantra
- The arrival of Haṭha yoga and its links with Tantra
- The revival of Yoga in the modern period
Practices include : Chanting of Tantric mantras; Ujjayi Pranayama; Ajapa Japa Meditation
from Yoga Days Info, posted November 2017