Yoga for Pregnancy
Why practice Yoga for Pregnancy?
Yoga for Pregnancy helps you and your baby through the changes and demands of pregnancy, labour and birth.
- Yoga is safe, effective exercise which keeps the body healthy and strong, preparing for labour and for your new life after the birth.
- Yoga Postures help manage the physical discomfort often associated with pregnancy.
- Yoga Breathing techniques maintain energy levels and are extremely helpful during labour.
- Relaxation helps you deal with any stress and tiredness you may experience during pregnancy or during the early months of motherhood.
Yoga for Pregnancy enriches your experience of pregnancy.
The benefits are felt not just by you and your baby, but by your nearest and dearest as well.
Preparing for Labour
In our Yoga for Pregnancy classes you will learn a range of Yoga practices for use during labour.
You will learn simple, effective breathing techniques which relieve anxiety and encourage the release of endorphins (the body’s natural pain killers).
Yoga is safe and natural. It works with your body to help labour go more smoothly.
Times & Locations
- Tuesdays : 6.35 – 8.00pm : Sheffield Yoga School, South Road, S6 3TA
- Tuesdays : 8.15 – 9.30pm : Sheffield Yoga School, South Road, S6 3TA
- Fridays : 6.35 – 8.00pm : Sheffield Yoga School, South Road, S6 3TA
Classes are followed by tea and biscuits and a chance to chat to other pregnant women in the group.
Ladies from the classes who have had their babies will often pop in and share their experiences of labour and the first few weeks of motherhood.
Paying for Classes
For the first class you can just pay on the day and see what you think. After that we ask for payment in a block of 5 classes at a time.
You can pay by cash or cheque, by bank transfer, or online.
When to start Yoga for Pregnancy?
It is recommended to wait until your pregnancy is firmly established before starting yoga for pregnancy.
You can join Yoga for Pregnancy classes any time after 14 weeks. No experience is necessary.
What to do next?
If you want to try one of our Yoga for Pregnancy classes, please call or email first to check there is a space available.
What to bring? What to wear?
- Mats and blocks are provided.
- Bring a blanket and a cushion for relaxation.
- Wear warm, loose and comfortable clothing.
Please complete our Yoga for Pregnancy Health Questionnaire and bring it with you to the first class.
Hannah Penn is qualified to teach Yoga for Pregnancy by the British Wheel of Yoga (BWY).
She has completed the BWY ‘Yoga for Pregnancy’ Module, a post-graduate qualification involving specialist training in teaching Yoga to pregnant women.
Hannah is an experienced, professional instructor and has been teaching yoga full time since 1995.
She has two children.