Yoga for Respiratory Health
This class is designed to help people manage and improve their breathing.
It has been running for over 10 years and involves a very warm, friendly and supportive group of people.
The class is mainly for breathing problems resulting from asthma, heart disease, anxiety, chronic illness and COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease).
It is also suitable for those with heart problems or mobility problems who may find it difficult to attend a general yoga class.
The class is held at Foxhill Medical Centre, Sheffield on Monday afternoons, 12.30 – 2.00 pm.
The room we use is warm and light.
There is plenty of car parking space available at Foxhill Medical Centre and there is a bus stop just outside.
Cost : £6.00 per class (Drop in)
What the class involves
Each session includes one hour of yoga postures, breathing, relaxation and mindfulness meditation.
We do a mix of exercises, mostly chair based and some standing if appropriate.
The class includes :
- Techniques to expand breath capacity.
- Learning to breathe correctly, developing awareness & control muscles involved in respiration.
- Joint freeing exercises to improve joint mobility.
- Simple spinal movements to increase the range of movement in the spine and improve posture (which then helps improve breathing).
- Breathing practices to reduce anxiety.
- Relaxation and meditation practices.
Relaxation & Meditation / Mindfulness helps to :
- Let go of mental and physical tension.
- Improve general health & well being.
- Deal with pain.
- Feel more able to cope with life’s ups and downs
There is always time at the end of the class to come together for a cup of tea and a snack!
Hannah Penn has been teaching Yoga for over 20 years.
She is a highly trained and experienced Yoga teacher who specializes in practical techniques which improve health & well-being.